Friday 8 June 2012

Why I will not be going to TAM this year

First, it was Rebecca Watson, then Justin Vacula and now me. It would appear the numbers of people stating they are not going to The Amazing Meeting this year is stacking up quicker than those who have stated they are.


Each of us have our own reasons, of course. Rebecca has stated that she will not be attending because she "can no longer support someone [DJ Grothe] who is so incredibly dismissive of women’s experiences." 


Justin is a debt-ridden student on the wrong side of the nation.


For my part, I shall not be attending because DJ Grothe has not come out and defended a man's right to be protected from feminist accusations of sexual predation. Why would I subject myself to such a flagrant disregard for my safety? It has not even been raised as an issue.


Oh, and I can't afford it ;-P


Safety is certainly a contentious issue, and I do support a comprehensive plan to deal with offensive behaviours, but I can't help but feel the way this is being dealt with (or not, as the case may be) is in any way constructive.





Will you be boycotting TAM this year? Why? Do you think that feminists are right to highlight safety above that of the meeting's content, or do you feel their actions undermine the message TAM tries to project?

2 comments:

  1. "For my part, I shall not be attending because DJ Grothe has not come out and defended a man's right to be protected from feminist accusations of sexual predation. Why would I subject myself to such a flagrant disregard for my safety? It has not even been raised as an issue."

    ahahahahahahaha holy fuck are you fucking shitting me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it funny. You were meant to.

      Delete

Only Google Accounts accepted for comments.